Super Bowl snacks are as much a part of the annual event as the football game itself. But those snacks can be calorie-bombs…laden with sugar and fat.
Here’s a healthier alternative to traditional Buffalo wings:
(I didn’t have chicken wings on hand when I made this, but I had some drumsticks…they’ll do just as well!)
First, mix together a dry seasoning mix. I make a large batch at a time, because I like to have something pre-made that I can use for a dry rub when grilling poultry and meats. Making dry-rubs and seasonings yourself is a great idea as you know exactly what’s in the end product — no fillers, MSG, preservatives, gluten, etc.
Dry Seasoning Ingredients
- 2 1/2 Tbsp paprika
- 1 1/2 Tbsp salt
- 2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
Combine all the above (I use a mini food processor). The result will keep in an air-tight jar or container for later use.
For the chicken, you’ll need only the following (plus a hot oven, a rack and a baking sheet):
Oven-Fried Chicken Ingredients
- 10 chicken wings (or other pieces), cut into flats and drumettes.
- 1-2 Tbsp dry seasoning (BBQ rub)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- Franks Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce
- Discard the wing tips or save them for another use. Sprinkle wings with a combination of seasoning and baking powder in a large bowl. Let them marinate overnight in the fridge. The baking powder will help make the wings really crispy.
- Set oven to 450°F (232°C), place the wings on a wire rack set on a baking pan and let them cook for about 40 minutes or so, turning them once halfway through.
- Take the wings out and let them sit for 5 minutes. Coat with Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce and serve.