It’s October, and almost everything is pumpkin spiced. From yogurt to coffees, there’s no escaping it. Of course, most of these flavoured treats have several things in common — they usually don’t contain any pumpkin, they’re overly sweet, and they offer little in the way of nutrition.
So here’s my muscle building pumpkin-spice entry for the season…
I call it a Pumpkin Spice Protein Snack. It’s perfect post-workout — as the protein will help rebuild muscle tissue, and the carbs from the pumpkin will help replenish muscle glycogen stores.
Pumpkin Spice Protein Snack
– 1/2 c canned pumpkin
– 1 scoop vanilla or natural whey protein
– 1 Tbs almond or other nut butter
– 1/4 c coconut milk
– 1 Tbs pumpkin seeds
– pumpkin pie spice (or cinnamon, allspice, ginger) to taste
– (vanilla or almond extract, optional)
– (chopped pecans for topping, optional)
Mix all ingredients in a medium sized bowl, until you have the texture of a pudding.
Sub unsweetened applesauce for coconut milk if desired. And be sure to use 100% pumpkin, not canned pumpkin pie filling!